Historic District Commission
- 4:00 pm
- First Wednesday of each month
- Council Chambers
70 Maple St.
Manistee, MI 49660
- Ron Hemboldt
- Lee Trucks
- Dennis Otto
- William R. Connor
- Thad N. Taylor
- Kathryn Kenny
- Angie Quinn
Historic District Commission Agendas & MinutesAgendas are available the Friday before the scheduled meeting.
Most Recent Agenda | View All
Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Minutes | View All
The Historic District Commission is charged with overseeing the city’s historic district. The establishment of the Historic District allows property owners with contributing properties the opportunity to apply for tax credits.
All properties within the Manistee Commercial Historic District must receive approval from the Historic District Commission for additions, any alterations to the exterior of their building, change in paint color and signage. Applications for a Certificate of Appropriateness must be submitted no less than 10 days prior to a regularly scheduled Historic District Commission meeting. Meetings are open to the public. Requests for the Historic District Commission are processed in the Planning and Zoning Department at City Hall.
The Historic District was established under Chapter 1280 of the Codified Ordinances and the Historic District Commission was established under Chapter 257 of the Codified Ordinances.
Historic District Commission By Laws
Historical Building Plaques
The Historic District Commission is developing Building Plaques for each building in the Manistee Commercial Historic District. As new pages are developed links will be added to the document. Please check back for updates!
Applications and Useful Documents
- Final Report of the Historic District Study Committee 2/28/07
- Informational Handout
- Manistee Commercial Historic District Map
- Manistee Commercial Historic District Survey Report 2/28/07
- Manistee Commercial Historic District Survey Addendum 8/24/18
- Manistee Downtown Preservation and Development Plan 1981
- Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
- Action Synopsis Jan 2021-Sept 2022